Teacher's Name: Mrs. Marie Doyle
Grade/Subject: Kindergarten Room 208
CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK
Kindergarten had an AWESOME time celebrating Catholic Schools Week!
The week was filled with special activities and opportunities to come together as a school family! Thank you to everyone who helped make it such a successful week.
We watched in anticipation as Punxsutawney Phil emerged from his den and
saw his shadow...6 more weeks of winter!
We had a lot of fun doing many groundhog themed activities throughout the day.
100th DAY PROJECTS
We will be celebrating our 100th day of school on Monday, February 12th.
We will be doing many 100th day activities.
We will eat the number 100 (a sausage link and bagels that look like 100) as our snack!
To help reinforce what 100 is, we will be sharing our 100th day projects.
Guidelines for completing the project were sent home at the end of January.
All projects are due in school by Friday, February 9th.
Please join us on Wednesday, February 14th in the Church at
9:00 a.m. for our School Mass celebrating
Ash Wednesday and the Feast of St. Valentine.
Our February Break will begin after our normal 2:00 p.m. dismissal on
Friday, February 16th. School resumes on Monday, February 26th.
BOOK IT FORMS
If your child has not returned their completed January Book It Form,
please send it in so we can add them to our Book It Chart.
Our chart is not as filled as we would expect it to be.
The February Book It Forms were sent home with your child.
It is our goal that each child is reading 15-20 minutes every day.
Once they return their form, they will receive a certificate good for a
FREE personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut.
3rd - H.S.A. Father/Daughter Dance
13th - UB BULLS Basketball game with SJS halftime show!
14th - SCHOOL MASS Ash Wednesday
17th-25th- February Break
26th - School resumes
The following is a list of skills and ideas that would be helpful for you to work on regularly with your child:
- Read aloud to them daily and have them read to you!
- Identify their name (first, middle & last).
- Recognize the 26 letters of the alphabet (upper case & lower case).
- Identify the sounds that each letter makes.
- Print their first & last name.
- Identify the basic colors of the rainbow.
- Identify the basic two dimensional shapes (bonus for knowing three dimensional shapes).
- Recognize numbers 1-20.
- Practice counting by ones and tens (end of year goal is to count by both to 100).
- Counting out objects to make groups of up to 20.
- Help them identify and create rhyming words.
- Practice coloring.
- Practice cutting & gluing.
- Encourage them to follow simple directions.
- Practice being able to handle their own personal needs such as putting on and taking off their jacket. They should be able to zipper, snap & button most of their own clothing.
- Help them learn to tie their own shoes.
- Encourage proper handwashing & personal hygiene (use of tissues).
- Independently open their own food & drinks for snack and lunch.
- Practice address & phone number (end of year goal is to know both).
- Model and encourage respectful behavior and good listening skills.
Our year end goal in Kindergarten is for everyone to be reading and writing independently!
The following list includes the 100 sight words we will be introducing:
a did hot not ten
all down I of that
am drink if off the
an fast in on three
and find into one to
are for is pick too
ask full it play two
at fun its pull up
away get jump put upon
be go just ran us
best good let red was
big got let's run we
black had like said well
blue has little see went
brown have look seven where
but he make she with
can help me sit will
come here must six yellow
cut him my stop yes
do his no tell you