Teacher's Name: Mrs. Marie Doyle
KINDERGARTEN 100th DAY OF SCHOOL!
This month Kindergarten will celebrate the 100th Day of School
on Tuesday, February 26th!
We will be doing many special activities and will even eat a special 100th Day snack:
the number 100 made with a sausage link and mini bagels!
Your child will not need to bring a snack on this special day.
Please be sure to send in your child's 100th Day Project by Friday, February 8th.
CATHOLIC SCHOOL WEEK...TO BE CONTINUED
Due to the unexpected snow days, our Catholic School Week was interrupted!
Activities will be rescheduled so please watch your child's take home folder for information.
Scheduled so far:
2/14 (Thurs.) Mt. St. Mary Jazz Band Concert 11:45 a.m.
2/15 (Fri.) Special Dress Down Day:
Mismatch/Crazy Hair/Crazy Socks
Talent Show 8:30 a.m. in the Gym.
2/25 (Mon.) Special Dress Down Day:
*SJS Orange Class T-shirts*
*We have the T-shirts here at school so no one forgets!
2/26 (Tues.) UB Bulls Basketball Game* 7:00 p.m.
*Present your original ticket from the snow day
SLEEP OUT FOR THE HOMELESS
Each year the Social Justice Committee of St. John's participates in the
Ken-Ton Sleep Out for the Homeless.
There will be a special $1 Dress Down Day on Friday, February 8th
to support this cause.
The monthly H.S.A. meeting will be held on Thursday, February 7th at 7:00 p.m.
in the Reina Community Room.
There will be a special H.S.A. Father/Daughter Dance on Saturday, February 9th.
The H.S.A. Theme Tray Event will be held on Sunday, March 3rd from 1-5 p.m. in the Gym.
There will be a special Children's Theme Tray in the cafeteria during lunch on
Thursday, February 28th and Friday, March 1st.
Please watch your child's Take Home Folder for details.
We will be celebrating Valentine's Day in our classroom on Thursday, February 14th.
A note was sent home with information about sending in Valentine's
and candy to pass out (we ask that you do not send in anything flavored peach or raspberry
due to an allergy) along with the Class List.
We will be having a special Valentine's Day Snack so your child
will not need to bring a snack on that day.
There will be NO SCHOOL the week of February 18th-22nd.
School will resume on Monday, February 25th.
7th - H.S.A. Meeting 7:00 p.m. - Reina Community Room
8th - $1.00 DRESS DOWN - Sleep Out for the Homeless
14th - HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!
18th - 22nd - NO SCHOOL - FEBRUARY BREAK
26th - KINDERGARTEN 100th DAY OF SCHOOL!
UB Bulls Basketball Game 7:00 p.m.
The following is a list of skills and ideas that would be helpful for you to work on regularly with your child:
- Read aloud to them daily and have them read to you!
- Identify their name (first, middle & last).
- Recognize the 26 letters of the alphabet (upper case & lower case).
- Identify the sounds that each letter makes.
- Print their first & last name.
- Identify the basic colors of the rainbow.
- Identify the basic two dimensional shapes (bonus for knowing three dimensional shapes).
- Recognize numbers 1-20.
- Practice counting by ones and tens (end of year goal is to count by both to 100).
- Counting out objects to make groups of up to 20.
- Help them identify and create rhyming words.
- Practice coloring.
- Practice cutting & gluing.
- Encourage them to follow simple directions.
- Practice being able to handle their own personal needs such as putting on and taking off their jacket. They should be able to zipper, snap & button most of their own clothing.
- Help them learn to tie their own shoes.
- Encourage proper hand washing & personal hygiene (use of tissues).
- Independently open their own food & drinks for snack and lunch.
- Practice address & phone number (end of year goal is to know both).
- Model and encourage respectful behavior and good listening skills.
Our year end goal in Kindergarten is for everyone to be reading and writing independently!
The following list includes the 100 sight words we will be introducing:
a did hot not ten
all down I of that
am drink if off the
an fast in on three
and find into one to
are for is pick too
ask full it play two
at fun its pull up
away get jump put upon
be go just ran us
best good let red was
big got let's run we
black had like said well
blue has little see went
brown have look seven where
but he make she with
can help me sit will
come here must six yellow
cut him my stop yes
do his no tell you