Teacher's Name: Miss Lucie Bellittiere
Grade/Subject: Reading Specialist
It's Not Too Early To Think
About Summer Reading
Reading during the summer will help prevent the loss of reading skills learned during the school year. Reading doesn't have to be just books. It can also include:
*Directions to a game.
* Magazine Ranger Rick, Highlights etc.
* Online Resources
*Visit to the local library and participate in their summer activities
Reading year round will help your child maintain or improve his/her reading skills.
The Reading Bear Website www.readingbear.org offers many opportunities to practice vowel sounds, blends, digraphs and various other phonics skills.
How to Find That Just Right Book
* Use the Greasy Finger Five - to find the just right book. Read the second page of the book. Hold up a finger for each word you don't know. If you have 4 or 5 fingers up, this is not a just right book and you should select a different book.
* Read books on topics that interest you, example: sports
* After you read a book, read other books in the series by the same author.
* Read books that are Caldecott or Newberry award winners.
* Ask friends for recommendations on a great book to read.
Websites To Visit
Great poetry sites:
poemfarm.amylv.com The Poem Farm (Amy Ludwig VanDerWater)
Authors of humorous poems:
teacher.scholastic.com/clifford1/ Reading games with Clifford
Starfall.com - phonics and reading practice
4kids.org - academics with arcade activities equals fun learning
studyzone.org - elementary test prep for ELA
Storyonline.net - stories read by actors
NASA.gov - NASA Kids' Club
abcya.com - Fun reading activities
MagicTreeHouse.com - At this website students can find games, puzzles, and quizzes on any of the Magic Tree House Books
Monster Hunt - A memory Game
News-O-Matic - Covers relevant news of the day in an engaging way - images, maps, videos, and games
Sight Words by little speller - practice spelling sight words
Scratch Jr. -Students can program their own interactive stories (You can have your characters move!) and games.
News-O-Matic - Students can keep To to date with current events
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates loot in Treasure Island.