Teacher's Name: Miss Lucie Bellittiere
Grade/Subject: Reading Specialist
Ways to Strengthen Reading Skills
* Before reading have your child think about what this story might be about.
* After your child finished reading have him/her explain what he/she had read.
* Practice sight words so your child can recognize them quickly.
* Select books appropriate to your child's abilities to build vocabulary and fluency.
* Visit the library, pick books on topics everyone is interested and read 15 to 20 minutes a night.
* Share conversations with your child during mealtimes, in the car, or waiting in line.
Books are like Candy Bars ---You Enjoy Them From Beginning To End
Websites To Visit
Great poetry sites:
poemfarm.amylv.com The Poem Farm (Amy Ludwig VanDerWater)
Authors of humorous poems:
teacher.scholastic.com/clifford1/ Reading games with Clifford
Starfall.com - phonics and reading practice
4kids.org - academics with arcade activities equals fun learning
studyzone.org - elementary test prep for ELA
Storyonline.net - stories read by actors
NASA.gov - NASA Kids' Club
abcya.com - Fun reading activities
MagicTreeHouse.com - At this website students can find games, puzzles, and quizzes on any of the Magic Tree House Books
Monster Hunt - A memory Game
News-O-Matic - Covers relevant news of the day in an engaging way - images, maps, videos, and games
Sight Words by little speller - practice spelling sight words
Scratch Jr. -Students can program their own interactive stories (You can have your characters move!) and games.
News-O-Matic - Students can keep To to date with current events
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates loot in Treasure Island.
Suggested Reading for Kindergarten to Grade 4