Teacher's Name: Miss Lucie Bellittiere
Grade/Subject: Reading Specialist
Reading Practice is Essential
The more a child reads, the better the child will be at reading.
How to Find That Just Right Book
* Use the Greasy Finger Five - to find the just right book. Read the second page of the book. Hold up a finger for each word you don't know. If you have 4 or 5 fingers up, this is not a just right book and you should select a different book.
* Read books on topics that interest you, example: sports
* After you read a book, read other books in the series by the same author.
* Read books that are Caldecott or Newberry award winners.
* Ask friends for recommendations on a great book to read.
Websites To Visit
Great poetry sites:
poemfarm.amylv.com The Poem Farm (Amy Ludwig VanDerWater)
Authors of humorous poems:
teacher.scholastic.com/clifford1/ Reading games with Clifford
Starfall.com - phonics and reading practice
4kids.org - academics with arcade activities equals fun learning
studyzone.org - elementary test prep for ELA
Storyonline.net - stories read by actors
NASA.gov - NASA Kids' Club
abcya.com - Fun reading activities
MagicTreeHouse.com - At this website students can find games, puzzles, and quizzes on any of the Magic Tree House Books
Monster Hunt - A memory Game
News-O-Matic - Covers relevant news of the day in an engaging way - images, maps, videos, and games
Sight Words by little speller - practice spelling sight words
Scratch Jr. -Students can program their own interactive stories (You can have your characters move!) and games.
News-O-Matic - Students can keep To to date with current events
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates loot in Treasure Island.
Suggested Reading for Kindergarten to Grade 4